FAQ and How To for the Citizen Star Newsroom
- What is Citizen Star News?
- What is this Star Citizen you speak of?
- What is UNN NEWS Association?
- Can I write an article for Citizen Star News?
- What is the Newsroom.citizenstarnews.com?
- What roles do users have on the Newsroom web site?
- How do I register and activate my account?
- How do I create a new Article?
- How are unpublished articles reviewed?
- How do I tag an article?
- How do I embed media (youtube, images) into an article?
- Why do I see a "Mixed Content Warning" or have some content blocked that is not secure?
- How do articles get published? What's the difference between Published and Promoted?
There is also an Organization within the Star Citizen game, Citizen Star/NEWS, which players that want to play journalists, in game media producers and related characters can join. Members of the Citizen Star/NEWS are also considered members of the UNN News Association.
Star Citizen is the best damn space sim ever (BDSSE) being developed by Chris Robert's Cloud Imperium Games. He can probably explain it best here. The main website exists at a hostname representing one of the games fictitious spaceship manufacturers, Roberts Space Industries.
The UNN NEWS Association is an in game construct, a Partnership between Feylan's UNN and CZenStar's Citizen Star/NEWS. It provides accreditation, standards and support for players wanting to role-play as journalists. UNN NEWS associates, who want to pursue actually writing stories, are welcome here at Newsroom.citizenstarnews.com. It should be remembered that Newsroom staff, Citizen Star/NEWS core members and UNN NEWS are three distinct groups. We expect a lot of overlap, but they do not necessarily equate.
Yes you can! Just register and submit a draft.
The newsroom is a website were we collaboratively work on stories for the Citizen Star News. You should register if you are interested in authoring, editing or otherwise being involved with the effort of producing news for Star Citizen.
- Anonymous - May read this FAQ. Some articles are published and readable, but anonymous users should mostly be reading the MAIN SITE.
- Authenticated User - Someone who has registered and logged in. Takes the role of author and/or editor (or also other contributing positions, art, media producer for example). May create their own Articles and comment on any articles (even unpublished ones) using the "Talk" tab.
- Editor - Someone signed up to review articles when needed.
- Managing-Editor - When promoted to Managing editor a user gains the ability to edit and administer articles, publish them, and promote to the public website. Ability to moderate comments and disable accounts.
- Editor-In-Chief - Main admin.
Free registration is turned on, and can be accessed via the right hand menu or this link. Accounts must be activated by site admin. Contact CZenstar by private message on the RSI forums, after you've registered here.
Any authenticated user should be able to create a new page of type "Article". See Navigation block in righthand column. Discuss editorial content using the "Talk" tab.
Any authenticated user should be able to see the recent block in the right hand column. There is also a new Recent menu item on the main menu bar. This will list all articles. Unpublished articles will be noted in the status column. Use the talk tab to give feedback and make suggestions. Only authors and managing-editors can directly edit an article. Anonymous users cannot read the talk tab.
Noting here tagging conventions thus far:
- Org Profile - Profiling of in game Organization
- Org-X - Tagging for individual organizations, for example Org-NEWS for Citizen Star or Org-CAS for Citizen's Aid Society
- In-Verse - Article written in character and 100% readable in the Universe by characters in the game.
- Dev-Post - Featured dev post from RSI forums or other source.
- Lore - Out of character article about the in game history and background story for the Star Citizen 'Verse.
- Site News - News and updates about this Citizen Star News site.
- Place - Some places warrant a tag. Example Cathcart
- News Org - Brand of some news org that is the source of the article.
- CIG - Cloud Imperium Games. Avoiding using RSI for this since RSI is also an in game company.
Tag an article by entering a comma separated list in the tag field.
(Ed- Noticing I've developed an inconsistant taxonomy with both spaces and dashes, semi random which is used. Will have to think on if that's acceptable.)
Citizen Star uses a "filtered HTML" text format that strips out most dangerous tags and attributes. But we also mix in a BBCode syntax that is very useful for adding media and some formatting. For youtube, find the identifier from the URL or "share" tab and enclose that in a youtube bbcode.
You can also use the img bbcode to imbed images from your favorite image hosting service. See filter tips for more info and examples. New bbcode "tube" is now available, it's a responsive version of the youtube tag that will expand to fill the area it's given but will also shrink down for smaller displays. Use that rather than the "youtube" bbcode which is fixed width. Similarly "imgr" code is preferred over img. See also "imgfloatleft" and "imgfloatright" for smaller images.
As this mozilla.org help page explains, we are a https secure site but media linking described above, embeds non secure content (although if you use links that start with "//" instead of "http://" or "https://" it should avoid this). This can lead to blocked media or warnings. I am also tracking down some scripts that seem to causing the problem. You should be able to ignore and leave blocked. Newsroom is the work room and the www version won't be https secured.
When deemed complete, an article will be promoted by a managing-editor to the front page and thus to the export to www. Send a private message to Editorial staff (the role "Managing-Editor") when you want to submit for distribution.
Published means that non-authenticated users can view the article if they know the URL (like as in you send it to them by email). This can be handy to share with outsiders for review.
Promoted (usually meaning to front page) is also used as a flagging for export.
Before an article is promoted, the article will have it's ownership changed to admin, because future updates to the article do automatically flow to the website. Make sure the article is complete before submitting.
- Update buttons? Default buttons aren't very stylish.
- URL shortener for twitter. (domain czen.me is available now, twitter has it's own shortner t.co so do we nead more?)
- Spelling and grammar checkers for editing and submission
- Youtube feeds
- Mobile Companion Apps?